dSelect / apt-get Issues?

Title: dSelect / apt-get Issues?

I have the following issues when trying to use dselect/apt-get
update/select/install under the hurd:

1.  Using http option does not work:
e.g.,  access set to http://http.us.debian.org/debian, when
the update is run I get lots of "socket errors".

2.  Changed to use ftp.  If I set access to ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian,
it tries to pull the i386 package list.

3.  Using ftp, set access to ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386.
This time it retrieves a roughly 170K file (seems appropriate for the number
of packages we have installed), but it does not recognize any of the
base set of packages (i.e., the base stuff I downloaded from base, admin, etc.,
by hand and have installed over time).  It lists them all as "obsolete".  This
is very bad for things like libc0.2 or bash!  It also shows my new packages
(which are in the download queue and are officially part of the archive)
as "obsolete".

Any idea what's going on?

-Brent