Re: some problems with dpkg

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 11:20:11PM +0200, Thierry Bourrillon wrote:
>  - during native-install i have the following messages:
>
> install-info : open /usr/info/dir : no such file or directory
> dpkg : error processing textutils (--configure)
> Subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>
> install-info : open /usr/info/dir : no such file or directory
> dpkg : error processing tar (--configure)
> Subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

Is this only in the first run, or aslo in the second? There ARE errors
printed out by native-install, but that's no problem if it succeeds later
on.

Try "dpkg --pending --configure" or "dpkg --audit". If this shows problems,
native-install didn't complete correctly and I want to see the output.

The above error ony shows that base-files wasn't configured yet. The order
in which the packages are configured is hard to determine, but cycling
through "--pending --configure" usually helps.

>  - after the installation
>
> ae doesn't work : error in loading shared library libc.so.6
> I fix it by ln --symbolic libc.so.6 libc.so.0.2
> but now it gets error in loading shared library /lib/libslang.so.1 : undefined
> symbol _IO_stdout_

I am sorry about the ae/slang situation. Some versions are heavily broken,
and I think the current packages in the archive are among them. I will try
to address this as soon as possible, by bumping the version numbers again
and recompiling them. Thanks for rememberimg me of that.

> when i attempt to install a binary package for example
> dpkg -i dpkg-hurd-dev_1_4_1_5.deb
> dpkg tell me that the architecture(hurd-i386) of the package doesn't match (i386)
> certainly i forget something but i can't see what :)
> have you got and idea ?
> I tested with both single-user and multi-user mode as root
> dpkg-hurd gives the same messages but try to install the package, i don't think it is the good method.

Yeah, some old dpkg version had a wrong understanding of their own
architecture. Get dpkg 1.4.1.6 (or .5) and install it with the following
command:

dpkg --install --force-architecture dpkg_1.4.1.5.deb

Then all subsequent dpkg commands will work.

thanks,