Re: Different approach - harder to understand

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Matthias Pfisterer wrote:

> To give you a quick shot, a Mach port is an abstraction of a
> communication channel between programms. The communication on these
> ports follow a message passing model. This means that, in contrary to
> communicating by ordinary function calls, the two processes
> communicating with each other need not be in the same memory space or on
> the same machine. In theory this allows servers to run on different
> machines, forming what is called a distributed operating system.

 It's using something like remote procedure calls(RPC's) !?

> There is another notable thing with (Mach) ports: a single port is not
> globally available in the system. It is rather only known to the task
> (for now, think of a task being something simular to a process) which
> created it and to tasks the port was explicitely passed to by the owner.

 So we could have thousands of ports ...

> Because of this property, ports are used to control the security of the
> system: A certain resource or service is available only the tasks which
> have ownership or knowledge of a port that is connected with the
> resource or service.

 We could say that each port has something like a userid/groupid
associated just like files on Linux, rigth !?

 Thanks for your help.

 Best regards,
   Nuno Carvalho