Re: Hurd and Mach syscalls

I'll try to field this.

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Ashutosh S. Rajekar wrote:

> 	Could anyone tell me if Hurd has its own syscalls (POSIX type), or
> does it use the syscalls provided by the Mach4 microkernel.

It uses the "syscalls" provided by GNUMach, a derivative of Mach X (I
don't remember off the top of my head if it was 3 or 4).

> Also tell me if Hurd will continue to run on top of Mach4, or will it
> run independantly, like Linux. Since it is running on Mach4 (and
> presumably in the future also), I presume all of the Hurd maintainers
> write essentially Mach4 code using Mach4 syscalls, to run what is known
> as the Hurd OS which is really only a set of Mach4 programs.

An effort is being made to make the Hurd microkernel neutral by
abstracting common microkernelisms into a library (libmom) which the Hurd
will run on top of (or which it already does, I'm going by data that's a
year or so old).

I'm open to corrections or clarifications.

--Michael Bacarella