virtual consoles

> I was under the impression the best way to do it would be to modify the
> console server in hurd, 'term' (?)

There are a few ways it could be done.  We want the infrastructure in the
kernel (gnumach) to use "char" device drivers from Linux anyway (for things
like the serial, ps2, and parallel port drivers), so getting that working
is a useful thing regardless (and Okuji has done some work on this).  It
may well be the case that once this general glue for linux char device
drivers is working in gnumach, that it will be very easy to get the linux
vt console driver working that way (though without fancy configuration
facilities) and that will be better than nothing as a short-term solution.

In the long term--and there is no reason one could not implement this right
away--we would indeed like this to be done outside the kernel in a server,
and probably term is the right place.  This server would access the
keyboard and display devices at a lower level, the way the X server does,
as opposed to the character-oriented kernel console device interface that
term uses now.

(Incidentally, this is the same approach we would suggest for something
like GGI support, though that might be a different server rather than term.)