Re: new web pages

Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

> Ole J. Tetlie was kind enough to do the work of applying the layout in
> hurd-noframes to the information in hurdtest.  I made a few minor
> changes, and committed the whole batch to CVS.  Here is the result:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd.new/

I'm glad to see this issue having a happy end. The progress of the hurd
itself is also very motivating.

I have some suggestions:

trying-out-hurd.html:
team (i hope you know what I'm talking about).

I also suggest to change the name of the page (and the link) to
`download' instead of `trying out the hurd'. I think it's more
suggestive.

Marcus has commented on the sentence `you need debian GNU/Linux to
install the hurd'. While it is correct that you do not need DEBIAN
linux, you need either linux or FreeBSD to create a filesystem. This is
to warn people that there is (currently) no stanadalone installation
procedure. So I would like to have a (modified) notice retained.

learning-more-about-microkernels.html
-------------------------------------
I've updated and structured the page, added some entries. The title of
the page changed to `microkernels and operating systems'.
See the attachement.

getting-help.html
-----------------
I have introduced subheadings into the page. This is to give the reader
a faster orientation. The new headings are also the anchor points.
See the attachment.
Title: GNU Hurd: Getting Help
The GNU Hurd
About the Hurd
About Microkernels
Trying out Hurd

Getting Help
Installation
FAQs
Mailing lists
Reference Manual

Software
GRUB
X11
Contributions

Acknowledgements

Getting Help

First, check the FAQs. These FAQs contain excellent advice about partition naming and many other common problems. Then try one of the mailing lists.

Some of these links are at other web sites not maintained by the FSF. The FSF is not responsible for the content of these other web sites.

Installation

FAQs

  • The GNU Hurd FAQ, for questions about the things that make the Hurd different from, say, the Linux kernel. This FAQ applies to all Hurd-based systems, not just Debian GNU/Hurd.
  • The Debian GNU/Hurd FAQ, for questions about all aspects of the Debian GNU/Hurd distribution.
  • The GRUB FAQ (GRUB is the GRand Unified Bootloader, used to boot Hurd)

The GNU Hurd Reference Manual

Mailing Lists

There are three mailing lists:
  • debian-hurd. This list is for discussion and help with Debian GNU/Hurd. Use this list for problems and suggestions for Debian packages and installation procedure.
    Subscribe to this list, or view the list archives.
  • help-hurd. Use this list for general questions about the Hurd, if you are sure that they do not apply to Debian.
    Subscribe to this list.
  • bug-hurd. Use this list if you are a developer who is interested in helping to modify the Hurd, GNU C library, or GNU Mach software packages. Bug reports are welcome on this list if you are sure that they apply to one of these packages.
    Subscribe to this list.

Return to GNU's home page.

Please send FSF & GNU inquiries & questions to gnu@gnu.org. There are also other ways to contact the FSF.

Please send comments on these web pages to webmasters@www.gnu.org, send other questions to gnu@gnu.org.

Copyright (C) 1998, 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA

Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

Updated: 22 Jan 1999 matthias

Title: GNU Hurd: Microkernels and operating systems
The GNU Hurd
About the Hurd
About Microkernels
Trying out Hurd

Getting Help
Installation
FAQs
Mailing lists
Reference Manual

Software
GRUB
X11
Contributions

Acknowledgements

Microkernels and operating systems

Some of these links are at other web sites not maintained by the FSF.
The FSF is not responsible for the content of these other web sites.

Microkernels

  • Mach Project Home Page at Carnegie Mellon University (the origin of Mach).
  • Mach 4.  The Hurd currently runs on top of Mach. This page documents the Utah release of Mach, from which the GNU Mach distribution came.
  • The Flux Research Group at the University of Utah.
  • The fiasco microkernel at the Universität Dresden. It is a research project intendet to create a microkernel for real-time applications.

Unix on microkernels

Other operating systems

Return to GNU's home page.

Please send FSF & GNU inquiries & questions to gnu@gnu.org. There are also other ways to contact the FSF.

Please send comments on these web pages to webmasters@www.gnu.org, send other questions to gnu@gnu.org.

Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA