towards a release... a status report

Hello,

I am currently preparing packages. Most packages will be rebuild, to have
latest version included, patches sent to the maintainer and bugs fixed.

If you have open issues with any existing package, NOW is the time to let me
know. Don't repeat what was mentioned on this list, except if it is
something I could have missed easily. Don't be scared to tell me what I
already know, though, it's better to double check everything.

The current glibc snapshot looks stable, too sad that you can't try it right
now, because it will be uploaded with the other packages as a bunch. :)

The current Hurd snapshot also looks great, after I reverted a small change
(see bug-hurd). Great work!

Then, I will compile GNU Mach, because tb did check in okuji's changes, and
the current version is a bit oldish.

dpkg has advanced greatly here, and I will be happy to upload it. I already
did my first native build today (except signing), and it just works great.
Santiago, if you read this, did you upload pgp? Do you want me to do this?
I heard pgp does have it's own random number generator, so we don't need
/dev/random urgently. (gpg hasn't, btw)

Today, I did a lot of things, and the Hurd did not crash once. It didn't
even choke. I am very excited :) [well, I knew what to avoid :) ] For
example, I could not provoke an error by running "du" or "find" on the
whole disk, producing heavy disk access.

ae does now nevermore conflict with /usr being a symlink (thanks Dale), and
I will rebuilt it, so "vi" won't hang, and installing nvi does also work.

Further stuff (can be delayed a few days):

Mark sent in a patch for gdb. I hope Mark and Roland will agree on a
strategy to update gdb, and I will just do what they tell me.

Updating egcs.

Perl5.005. I am still waiting for a release by our Debian perl5.005
maintainer. He promised that he will then incorporate my patches against the
Debian building scripts.

Because I don't need to do cross building this round, I can actually write
clean patches to the Debian scripts, which will be a milestone. It will be
much easier to rebuild packages after this. Currently, I still have to be
very careful about patches I have to apply etc...

The Debian Port pages for the Hurd (www.debian.org/ports/hurd) have now been
written, and I am waiting for write access to CVS so I can submit them.
Those will help people to find all relevant information even more quickly.
Those pages will hopefully not reduplicate the existing pages, but provide
additional information. The advantage is that I can update them in case
there is a need.

I need a volunteer who rewrites small parts of existing packages, which use
PATH_MAX or MAXHOSTNAMELEN, or at least shows me how to do it on an example
(I could probably figure it out by looking at inetutils, but I feel it would
distract me too much from my current work). This should be a relatively
small task, and anyone with C knowledge could do it, probably. I have a list
of such source files (well, I don't, but I have some notes laying around).

I feel we are very close to another snapshot release now, thanks to everyone
involved for their work and to everyone waiting for their patience :)