Re: Native devel environment?

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 03:00:55PM -0700, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> <plug>
> How far along is Hurd's native development environment? I mean, for making
> debian packages?
> </plug>

We are so ---><---- close to a native development environment! The remaining
bugs were detected and fixed, as far as I know.

The only thing that is theoretically missing is /dev/random for _secure_ pgp
signing of packages.

I still have to do a rebuilt of dpkg and some other packages. Once this is
done, I will do another tar file and declare the current system as our
native development system. I built glibc yesterday, and will do some other
packages today. Expect something in the next days.

> I ask, because I'm happy to offer what help I can, but most of my time is
> taken elsewhere. Once everything works in this area, I can upload hurd
> packages....

Great! As I said, a few days and we can start distributing the load. In the
first time, compiling some packages will take some work, because the rules
files may have to be patched. Unfortunately, neither the dpkg nor the
debian-policy maintainers have incorporated my dpkg-architecture proposal yet.
We will just have to hope that the maintainers accept our patches nevertheless.