Re: Moving away from /dev ?

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 06:49:50PM +0100, Adam Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 09:01:27PM -0400, Kevin S. Ho wrote:
> > Would there be any interest in having GNU Mach and Hurd move way from
> > /dev  into having a kernel-provided translator that exports kernel symbols
> > including devices?
>
> Very much so. This would appear to be the "obvious" way to go---it removes
> any need for MAKEDEV scripts and similar kludges, plus you can check what
> drivers you've got installed by doing a "ls /dev".

Sounds great. Please work on it :)

And please discuss the details on some hurd specific list, if you are
interested in development, bug-hurd@gnu.org is the appropriate list I think.

(Not that I am not interested, I am subscribed two both lists and some dozen
lists more, it's just that some people may subscribe to only one because
they are only interested in one, we should try to mind their expectations).

Thanks!