Re: Loop in vi

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> Linking /usr to / is a broken idea. The FHS/FSSTD makes it clear that /bin
> and /usr/bin are to be different locations and contain different binaries.

Eh?

   o The primary binary directories, /bin and /usr/bin, do not have well
     defined divisions between them.  As a result, the distribution of
     the binaries between these two directories varies greatly between
     the Linux distributions.

Also note that the hurd allows for the boot process to have some of the
binaries in one physical region and the bulk of the binaries in another
physical region even though they show up in the same directory.

> In addition, /bin/vi is a script, installed in the root.bin of the rescue
> floppy so that the vi command will provide an editor during base
> installation. As soon as one of the "real" vi's gets installed (on a
> system with /usr linked to /) the script will be overwritten by the new
> symlink for update-alternatives that the various vi use.
>
> OK?

That said, I don't see why (given the capability of the hurd to overlay
physical storage) the hurd can't have what debian linux labels /bin/vi
present at boot time but what debian linux labels /usr/bin/vi present
once the system is all the way up.  If it can't manage this then yeah,
it's probably a mistake to merge /bin/ and /usr/bin/.

--
Raul