Re: System requirements

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 12:37:37PM -0500, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Roland McGrath <frob@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Luck.  It should in theory work to have no default pager (though that means
> > you cannot use `swapon' at run time either), but there are likely some
> > quirky assumptions being broken by that, and Thomas and I will be
> > Completely Unsurprised if trying to run without a default pager screws up
> > and/or dies in weird ways.
>
> In theory a default pager would not be called until needed, but the
> assumption in the kernel as well as a few little tidbits of Hurd code
> is that it is always there.

Well :-/  I've got my swapper setup, and I am still getting unhandled page
fault problems on my cyrix 6x86L 200+ (kernel trap type 14, code = 4830000).

It seems to occur at random, which would lead me to suspect a hardware
problem or incompatibility.  This system runs fine in Linux, so I dunno what
exactly the difference is..

I'm getting rather frustrated.. I've been tackling this for a few days now
with no luck.  I'm trying to cross-compile a kernel from linux with the KDB
enabled to see if I can figure anything out from that, but I've been having
a wee bit of a tricky time with that too ;-)

Anyone have any suggestions ?  Oh, it's using ide, and I've tried removing
all non-critical cards.

Ian