Re: / -> /usr symlink

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 03:12:11PM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
> > Making / and /usr separate directories will introduce problems, too,
> > so I'd rather side with the GNU standards on this issue.
>
> I see. And I kind of agree. But see below.
>
> > This is interesting, though, because it is our first conflict between
> > GNU and Debian policy.  I guess it's an issue that I (or somebody)
> > should open on debian-policy.
>
> No. I have to object strongly, not because I would not like to see this
> discussed, but because I don't see a good outcome.

My problem with the symlink (/usr -> .) is not only that it causes
portability problems, but that it is an inelegant half-solution.  My
sense of aesthetics would prefer [ ! -e /usr ] as was the case in
gnu-0.2, but for the practical benefits of Debian compatibility, we
need /usr, so why not go all the way?

> PS: Maybe I am just disappointed by the fact that I have put a _lot_ of
> effort in the base system around New Year, and now my patches are not as
> appreciated as I would like them to be by some people.

I appreciate them!!!!!!!!!

-John
ps, Get well soon!