Re: /usr --- to link or not to link

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 12:20:16AM +0000, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> > So, I am asking you if we better should drop the symlink for now and use
> > normal Linux file system layout. Later interested people can try with the
> > symlink and watch for problems like this. I am not very interested in this,
> > and I am in favour of dropping the symlink for now, but I would like to hear
> > further input, especially how this affects the dynamic linker (maybe it is a
> > good idea to symlink /usr/lib -> /lib instead?).
>
> I agree, but: what changes need to be made to your .debs? and especially
> the install scripts?

None. The deb packages have proper /usr/ location. The only change I need to
do is to comment out the ln command in cross-install :)

I could even ask the user if he wants to have the link installed or not.

Note: This does only work on an initial install. After installation, a
conversion from usr dir to link would be possible, but the other way round
would require more work (obviously).