Warning: Obscure preprocessor/configure/include file problem (with solution)

Hi,

we have an obscure problem in our setup if we use
"-W,-rpath=/usr/i386-gnu/lib" in our i386-gnu-gcc wrapper script:

./configure will test for the preprocessor, first it tries "i386-gnu-gcc -E".
But because this has output on stderr, namely:

gcc: -rpath=/usr/i386-gnu/lib: linker input file unused since linking not done

.... it will think that this does not work and falls back to "/lib/cpp"
which is BAD, because this will check for the Linux include files, not the
hurd ones.

The solution is, if we can't suppress the output, to either specify an
environment variable CPP before calling configure, or to check this special
case in the wrapper, or to move the rpath from the wrapper to the specs
file.

Thank you,