Re: libc6_2.0.106-0.1_i386.deb is released

   Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:03:37 -0500
   From: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>

   This doesn't buy us much by itself, so we had not planned to make it an
   immediate priority.  I expect to have a quasi-usable debian-hurd
   distribution before we get around to it.  (Switching to libio requires a
   soname change, and when it will really buy us something is when we
   implement pthreads, which will also require a soname change.  Pthreads is
   not likely to happen real soon, so if libio happened first there would be
   two soname changes by the end of it.)

I deliberately didn't look at libio, since wide character support is
planned for glibc 2.2.  If we switch over after that's implemented we
don't have to carry all the binary compatibility mess.

Mark