Re: glibc-2.1 profiling doesn't work

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 12:07:58AM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

>  MB> On Sat, Dec 19, 1998 at 07:58:33PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>  >>  The change to the specs file is only necessary to compile
>  >> statically linked programs (i.e. the Hurd bootstrap filesystem).
>
> [...]
>
> There were several problems with
> alpha.gnu.org:/gnu/hurd/ghhk/i386-gnu-specs.  I've fixed them now, so
> plain static and dynamic linking will work against glibc-2.1, however
> profiling is broken.

I can't test profiling because I don't have the profiling libs installed
(space and download time constraints). However, an old specs file I found
worked fine when I applied Mark's patch.

>  MB> Gordon, we need some serious changes to our cheap-cross
>  MB> compilation environment. It doesn't seem to work anymore.
>
> I'm working on updating the GHHK and associated documentation to take
> advantage of the Debian packages we have (i.e. showing people to use
> `ar p PKG.deb data.tar.gz | tar -zxvpf -' to splat Hurd binaries on a
> partition).

Fine! If this is merged with my step by step instructions (you could
actually change deb_install I posted to automate this), we can soon have
detailed procedures how to bootsrap the Hurd. As soon as we have all
details, someone can put this into a big tar file.

> You can rest assured knowing that there will be progress in the next
> 24 hours.  I expect to have a robust cross-compilation environment
> within that time.

This sounds great! I am looking forward to the new specs file.

> Thanks for forwarding your mail rather than just grumbling to
> yourself. ;)

*laugh* Actually, I overreacted. The problems are not almost as big as they
occured to me. It is always the unknown which scares somebody.