Important! (was: Re: libc6_2.0.106-0.1_i386.deb is released

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 04:21:26PM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

> Since this is my first attempt at building a Debian package, I'm sure
> that there will be minor glitches, but I'll leave it to you folks to
> find them out. ;) Any help with `Depends' and `Obsoletes' lines (as
> well as preinstall/postinstall scripts) would be especially
> appreciated.

Don't upload them to Debian!!! This is very important, because your
architecture field is wrong:

libc6_2.0.106-0.1_i386.deb:
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 1114124 bytes: control archive= 638 bytes.
     290 bytes,    10 lines      control
      78 bytes,    10 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
      53 bytes,     6 lines   *  preinst              #!/bin/sh
     598 bytes,    20 lines      shlibs
 Package: libc6
 Version: 2.0.106-0.1
 Section: base
 Architecture: i386
               ^^^^

This should be hurd-i386.

If you would upload them, they would be installed in the i386 tree, not in
the hurd-i386 tree, breaking the distribution.

You didn't use the wrappers of Santiago, did you? You need wrappers for
dpkg-buildpackage and -gencontrol and -genchanges to make cross building
work.

With a trick, you can rebuild the binary packages without recompiling libc6.
I don't know if adding the "-nc" option is sufficient, but you can also just
uncomment the cleaning and rebuilding in the rules file and use the "-B"
option.