trying to cross-compile

Dear all,

	I'm trying to cross-compile apache. Following instructions from
the FAQ, I created /usr/i386-gnu/bin and these scripts in it:
dpkg-buildpackage
dpkg-gencontrol
dpkg-genchanges
ldd

I then got the apache source deb file, and untarred it.
PATH=/usr/i386-gnu/bin:$PATH
dpkg-source -x apache_foo_bar.dsc
cd apache-1.3.3/
dpkg-buildpackage -B -fakeroot

Now I get screes of output, and it fails. Key bits are, I think:
dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec C compiler `hurd-i386-linux-gcc' no such
file or directory

I ran it again, with 2>> apache_error, which produced the file which I
have attached. I'm not quite sure what I've done wrong, but if you could
tell me I'd be most grateful

Thanks,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Selwyn College Computer Support
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/8841/
http://www.cam.ac.uk/CambUniv/Societies/tolkien/
http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("mcv21") at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 24.
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("mcv21") at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 24.

no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("mcv21") at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 24.
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("mcv21") at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 24.
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("mcv21") at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 24.
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("mcv21") at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 24.
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec C compiler `hurd-i386-linux-gcc': No such file or directory
dpkg: subprocess gcc --print-libgcc-file-name returned error exit status 2
dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec C compiler `hurd-i386-linux-gcc': No such file or directory
dpkg: subprocess gcc --print-libgcc-file-name returned error exit status 2
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
 debian/rules build
dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec C compiler `hurd-i386-linux-gcc': No such file or directory
dpkg: subprocess gcc --print-libgcc-file-name returned error exit status 2
dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec C compiler `hurd-i386-linux-gcc': No such file or directory
dpkg: subprocess gcc --print-libgcc-file-name returned error exit status 2
 + Warning: You enabled the suEXEC feature. Be aware that you need
 + root privileges for this, at the latest at the installation step.
dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec C compiler `hurd-i386-linux-gcc': No such file or directory
dpkg: subprocess gcc --print-libgcc-file-name returned error exit status 2
dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec C compiler `hurd-i386-linux-gcc': No such file or directory
dpkg: subprocess gcc --print-libgcc-file-name returned error exit status 2
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make: *** [build] Error 2