boot-floppies

Has anyone thought much about how Hurd's equivalent of boot-floppies
will work? Presumably one could copy the Debian GNU/Linux package quite
closely, using the libraries slang and newt to provide windows and
menus on a VSA screen in text mode. However, when I was trying to
localise that package I ran into some difficulties, mainly the problem
of using a different character set. So, if, by any chance, someone has
already thought about a different way of doing it, I would be
interested to hear about it.

(One should probably accept, right from the start, that the system must
be able to work in Chinese, Japanese, Burmese, ... and therefore kludgy
8-bit work-arounds will just cause extra work in the long run ...)

Edmund