Re: Warning: Obscure preprocessor/configure/include file problem (with solution)

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 12:44:26AM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > we have an obscure problem in our setup if we use
> > "-W,-rpath=/usr/i386-gnu/lib" in our i386-gnu-gcc wrapper script:
>
> I don't think you ever want to do that.  That sets the DT_RPATH encoded in
> the binaries.  You want -rpath-link, which affects only ld's behavior at
> link time.  (And I assume that's "-Wl,..." not "-W,..." in actuality.)

True, true. Hmmm. At some time it changed from rpath-link to rpath. Dunno
what happened. I hope the rpath doesn't break anything seriously, because I
am not going to recompile everything and upload it just for that. I have
just finished a bunch of deb packages (including bash and shellutils and
fileutils is under way).

I will change this here on my system to your suggestion:

> I have never seen a problem like this.  My specs file has the -rpath-link
> in the *lib section, so it's never consulted when not linking.
>
> > The solution is, if we can't suppress the output, to either specify an
> > environment variable CPP before calling configure, or to check this special
> > case in the wrapper, or to move the rpath from the wrapper to the specs
> > file.
>
> The only downside of having it in the specs file is the need for specific
> cross-compile directory names to be substituted into the specs file.

Something I can live with. I don't want to cross compile for the rest of my
life :) Too much problems, even with gnu software. I willnot even start
complaining about non-gnu stuff.. *yick*.

Have fun!