glibc-2.1 profiling doesn't work

Hi!

 MB> On Sat, Dec 19, 1998 at 07:58:33PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
 >>  The change to the specs file is only necessary to compile
 >> statically linked programs (i.e. the Hurd bootstrap filesystem).

[...]

There were several problems with
alpha.gnu.org:/gnu/hurd/ghhk/i386-gnu-specs.  I've fixed them now, so
plain static and dynamic linking will work against glibc-2.1, however
profiling is broken.

Here are the errors (using a cheap cross-compiler generated by the
latest make-cross):

$ i386-gnu-gcc -o zot main.o
$ i386-gnu-gcc -static -o zot main.o
$ i386-gnu-gcc -p -o zot main.o
/usr/i386-gnu/lib/gcrt1.o: In function `__gmon_start__':
/usr/i386-gnu/lib/gcrt1.o(.text+0x41): undefined reference to `__monstartup'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
$ i386-gnu-gcc -static -p -o zot main.o
/usr/i386-gnu/lib/crt0.o(.text+0x1): undefined reference to `_hurd_stack_setup'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
$

 MB> Gordon, we need some serious changes to our cheap-cross
 MB> compilation environment. It doesn't seem to work anymore.

I'm working on updating the GHHK and associated documentation to take
advantage of the Debian packages we have (i.e. showing people to use
`ar p PKG.deb data.tar.gz | tar -zxvpf -' to splat Hurd binaries on a
partition).

You can rest assured knowing that there will be progress in the next
24 hours.  I expect to have a robust cross-compilation environment
within that time.

Thanks for forwarding your mail rather than just grumbling to
yourself. ;)

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)