Re: hurd init, translator upgrade

On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 07:24:10PM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:

> I have given a lot of detail, and no recipe for the "right way" to install
> translators.  My intent is to clearly describe the translator functionality
> and its issues relevant to installation/upgrade and package maintenance.  I
> then leave it to the people who have experience with the package system to
> devise packaging and installation approaches appropriate to this
> functionality.
>
> I hope I have been of some assistance, and I look forward to answering more
> questions from Debian folks about packaging issues in the Hurd.

Hello Roland!

Great, great, great! Your information is much appreciated, and will help us
very much. Unfortunately, I have a math exam friday, so I'll not have the
time to go into the details right now.

I'll take up the Hurd again starting from the weekend, and improve the
current Hurd packages. The install scripts have to be taken care of, too,
and so your mail will be very helpful.

Some minor issue:

I know that RMS doesn't want binaries to be stripped, but currently this is
common praxis in Debian and will reduce the load of my ppp link. But
stripping can't be done without thinking. Is the following okay:

1) All binaries and shared libraries --strip-unneeded.
2) All static libraries --strip-unneeded.
3) The dynamic linker will NOT be stripped at all.

(at least this is linux praxis). Will translators suffer from stripping? I
think not, at least I haven't encountered problems so far.

Thank you,