Re: SMP Hurd

David Maslen <david@binary.net.au> wrote:
> I must say, this list is very quiet. I hope it's because everyone is
> busy compiling packages for debian-hurd.

It might also be because the root nameservers at internic have
dropped debian, for as yet unknown (and undocumented) reasons.

What this means is that some people can't send to the list at the
moment (because that the information about where to find the
nameservers for debian.org has expired from the cache on whatever
machine is supplying name services for them).

Here's a message I sent to debian-devel about this:

Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:31:20 -0400
Subject: Re: debian.org removed from root nameservers

Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> wrote:
> As a result you might not be able to send mail to
>
>  . lists.debian.org
>  . bugs.debian.org
>  . packages.debian.org
>  . debian.org itself
>
> You might receive bounces saying 'host not found'.  In that case
> please postpone your mail until this is fixed.

Of course, you can work around this problem by temporarily putting
appropriate addresses in /etc/hosts (and setting up nsswitch.conf
appropriately).  It looks like 205.229.104.6 (murphy) is the best
address to stick in /etc/hosts for lists.debian.org...  or, if
you're using qmail, put into /var/qmail/control/smtproutes:
lists.debian.org:[205.229.104.6]

Here's the current addresses of debian's name servers, if you want
to try using nslookup, etc.:

buoy.com        internet address = 205.230.163.100
ns2.cistron.nl  internet address = 195.64.68.28
miriam.fuller.edu       internet address = 206.1.27.4
ns1.waw.com     internet address = 194.51.88.250

Remember to clean out any hardwired gunk when internic's registration
comes back up.

--
Raul