Re: Hurd? Re: Stopping KDE from becoming a standard

Hi!

 >Phil Fraering writes:
 >> I've been wondering lately... how hard would it be to make the
 >> HURD run on top of Linux (perhaps a modified Linux) rather than on
 >> top of Mach?
 >>
 >> Do you think this might finally prove a solution to the "Lignux"
 >> problem?

[...]

YES!

I think that this idea addresses a very crucial distinction between
the scope of the Hurd and that of Linux.

The bulk of Linux code is device drivers, and that part of Linux is
constantly growing.  The Hurd has no device drivers at all, and many
of the ones in Mach are actually taken directly from Linux.  On the
other hand, the Hurd will gradually accumulate more and more features
that really don't belong in the Linux kernel (such as user interface
callbacks).

So, it makes sense to say:

``It is our eventual goal to separate device drivers from kernel
services, so that there is no duplication of work between the GNU Hurd
and Linux projects.''

If we make this our dream, then we can start healing the political
wounds immediately.  It also encourages mutual cooperation in helping
Linux and the Hurd find their own unique identities.

Technically, though, I think this goal is at least four years away.
Feel free to prove me wrong. ;)

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)

Copyright (C) 1998 FIG; the creator offers you this gift and wants it to
remain free.  See http://www.fig.org/freedom.html for details.
  This work may be copied, modified and distributed under the GNU General
  Public License (GPL).  See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.