RE: Dpkg for Hurd

> Before anyone wastes their time on this: I´m preparing a
> dpkg_1.4.1.4_i586-pc-gnu.tar.gz package for you. It should
> be ready later today (gimme a few hours). It is already compiled,
> and i only need to do some testing and package it together manually
> (the build process breaks badly on the scripts dpkg-gencontrol and
> dpkg-parsechangelog).

Bless you Marcus!  I was actually working on this last night, but didn't
get as far as you did.  I have added my experiences below yours (below):

> For your information, a mixture of impressions, experiences etc.
>
> * I used dpkg-1.4.1.4 from klee´s home directory on master.
>   It is ready for porting, whereas the latest dpkg in slink
>   some kernel headers uses (for sysinfo). This won´t work on Hurd,
>   naturally.

I was using the "latest" in stable.  It has the same sysinfo problems
(although there IS a sysinfo.h file under /include/hurd/sys -- we could
probably hack around dpkg to make use of the hurd sysinfo header file.
Not sure how important this is.

> * Biggest problem: dpkg --print-architecture. I tried to hack it
>   but gave up. Someone else has to change lib/arch.c to support
>   GNU archhitecture.

I ran into a problem where the configure macro AM_GNU_GETTEXT is not
defined.  I grepped around in my Linux directories, but couldn't find
the proper macro file.  This is probably very easily fixable.  Anyway,
this broke some of the aclocal/automake stuff.

We probably need to create a decent architecture identifier (i.e.,
i586-gnu-hurd) somewhere so that these get-architecture macros can find
something meaningful.

>   Now I only need to gather things together for a tar package.
>   This is my planned procedure:
>
>   * Make dpkg tar package, which contains all things that are in
>     the normal deb.
>   * Make a support package which contains a first /var/lib/dpkg
>     tree with first entries.
>   * Either make further tar packages with dpkg-dev or even
>     provide them in dpkg format. have to try.

This sounds like a good idea.  Once you've got a tar file together, we
can just manually install into our hurd partitions.  Then we can start
building hurd *.deb's in earnest.

> Now to the technical part: When I have the packages ready,
> I´ll upload them to my home directory on master, unless somebody
> points me to a ftp site where I can uplaod them (the ftp site
> should have a good connection to germany). I´ll only upload them
> once. Someone else has to copy/mirror them.

Great -- just notify the list when you're done.  Great work, Marcus!

-Brent