Re: Binary Distribution Goals

"Fulgham, Brent/SCO" <BFulgham@CH2M.com> writes:

> 3.  Generate a base-install set of database entries for dpkg that gets
> installed with the base-install disk set.
> 4.  Once you install the base-install disk set, we can start natively
> compiling the rest of the components of the Debian distribution.

We've just put together a minimal base system for porting Debian to
the Netwinder.  It's got enough capability that it can compile the
base packages mostly.

I thought it might be somewhat informative to post the list of
packages here, as it would be a good starting goal to get these
packages working on the Hurd as the first part of the bootstrapping
process.  Here goes:

# dpkg -l
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  adduser         3.8            Add users and groups to the system.
ii  autoconf        2.12-8         automatic configure script builder.
ii  automake        1.3-1          A tool for generating GNU Standards-complian
ii  base-files      2.0            Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
ii  bash            0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU Bourne Again SHell
ii  binutils        0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU assembler, linker and binary utiliti
ii  cpio            0.0.0.1.corel. GNU cpio -- a program to manage archives of
ii  debhelper       0.79hamm1      helper programs for debian/rules
ii  debianutils     0.0.0.1.corel. Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian.
ii  debmake         3.5.11         Debianizing Tool and automated binary genera
ii  diff            0.0.0.1.corel. File comparison utilities
ii  fileutils       0.0.0.1.corel. GNU file management utilities.
ii  g++             0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU (egcs) C++ compiler.
ii  gawk            0.0.0.1.corel. GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing l
ii  gcc             0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU C compiler.
ii  gdb             0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU Debugger
ii  ldso            0.0.0.1.corel. The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilit
ii  less            0.0.0.1.corel. A file pager program, similar to more(1)
ii  libc6           0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libc6-dev       0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU C library version 2 (development fil
ii  libstdc++2.8    0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU stdc++ library (egcs version)
ii  libstdc++2.8-de 0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU stdc++ library (development files)
iF  libtool         1.0h-5         Generic library support script.
ii  m4              0.0.0.1.corel. a macro processing language
ii  make            0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU version of the "make" utility.
ii  mawk            0.0.0.1.corel. a pattern scanning and text processing langu
ii  mirror          2.8-15         Perl program for keeping ftp archives up-to-
ii  ncurses-base    0.0.0.1.corel. Video terminal manipulation - Minimum termin
ii  ncurses-bin     0.0.0.1.corel. Video terminal manipulation - associated pro
ii  netbase         0.0.0.1.corel. Basic TCP/IP networking binaries
ii  netstd          0.0.0.1.corel. Networking binaries and daemons for Linux
ii  patch           0.0.0.1.corel. Apply a diff file to an original
ii  perl            0.0.0.1.corel. Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
ii  perl-base       0.0.0.1.corel. The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister
ii  sed             0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU sed stream editor.
ii  shellutils      0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU shell programming utilities.
ii  strace          0.0.0.1.corel. A system call tracer.
ii  tar             0.0.0.1.corel. GNU tar
ii  textutils       0.0.0.1.corel. The GNU text file processing utilities.
ii  util-linux      0.0.0.1.corel. Miscellaneous system utilities.
ii  vim             0.0.0.1.corel. Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor

Note that a lot of these packages are just the Corel supplied binaries
copied into .deb files (I wrote some scripts to automate the process).
Over the next days and weeks, we'll replace them with packages built
from source.

The gnu-0.2 distribution has most of the above binaries and data files
already, so it shouldn't be too hard to get things going as above with
just a few days of work.  It would probably be more of a manual
process, because the GNU binaries aren't in the same locations as
where Debian puts them (on the NetWinder, things were pretty close).

I tried to install gnu-0.2 over the weekend, and it failed miserably.
When I get some more spare time, I'll do some more RTFM, and get back
to y'all.

Cheers,

 - Jim