Re: GRUB 0.5.92 is released

hi folks,
  I've been checking out grub-0.5.92 for about 2 weeks now from potato.
The apt-get install method works quite well:

) apt-get install lilo-   to remove lilo
) apt-get clean           to make sure lilo is really gone
) apt-get install grub    to install the grub deb

I found stage1 and stage2 in /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/.  My problem is, I
believe, that I was using a bootloader prior to grub.  It is called
"System Selector".  It was adequate for use with windows and redhat but
when I switched to debian it would periodically change the mbr so that
lilo couldn't find the linux native partitions.  Needless to say I've
become quite skilled at installing debian/linux.  It uses a method of
hiding primary and extended partitions until they are needed.
  I'm planning on switching from "System Selector" to grub completely so
that debian/linux and debian/hurd can have a permanent home on my
machine.  Using a combination of both is not working.  I have to be
careful because I have mission-critical work installed in one of my
windows98 OSes.  I'm doing a full back-up just in case.
  I BELIEVE MY ONLY CHOICE IS TO DO A FDISK/MBR.  Does anybody see an
alternative?  I've tried everything else I can think of.
enough whining and a few questions for my game plan:

)does grub support booting FAT32 or should I be sure to use only FAT16?
)can I boot more than one FAT partition(two PRI DOS FAT16, one PRI DOS
FAT32 each partition supports an OS) with my menu.lst?  The two FAT16s
are just small boot partitions to the second harddrive.
)should I keep my hurd and debian boot partitions below cylinder 1024?