Re: does the HURD run on this hardware?

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 11:01:07AM +0200, Eberhard Burr wrote:
> I've been unable to find a quick answer to this question in the web,
> therefore I have to bother you with this.

Well, you may want to try

http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

which has a fat link to the Hardware Compatibility Guide on top of the page.

> My System has an AMD K6 processor, Matrox Millennium II video (I could
> replace it with an S3 986 based card) and only IBM harddisk on an Asus
> SC 200 (NCR 810 based) controller.

The SCSI controller will be a problem. This is NCR53C8XX right? This driver
is not included in the binary distributed kernel, because it breaks non-SCSI
systems. You would have to compile your own kernel. Chicken and egg problem.
I can compile you a custom kernel, but not before I leave for holidays. Drop
me a mail if you can't cross compile a kernel and nobody else on this list
steps in.

> I'd like to try the HURD just out of curiosity but prior to getting
> the tarball, I wanted to check if there are chances it will run on
> this SCSI-only system at all.

Sure.

> I'm currently running Debian slink
> GNU/Linux and there's no redmondish collection of device drivers
> installed (I don't dare calling that an OS ;).

GNU Mach has the same scsi and hard disk drivers as 2.0.36, so if you are
running Linux, GNU Mach can probably run, too. But see above in your special
case.

Thanks,
Marcus