Re: Success with Debian, failure with Gentoo

Oh hello :)
Thanks for the quick reply.

When I first ran the setup, auto partitioner gave me only the PALO partition and a huge / partition. After the installation, I couldn’t boot.

So I ran the setup again and got a 24mb Palo, a 285mb /boot and a logical volume containing / and swap. / is flagged as bootable.
After restart, I’d get a bad LIF number message.

What would be the correct partitioning schema? Is there anything I can check at the end of the installation, before reboot, to confirm that palo config went fine?

Then I tried to NetBoot then chroot...

I’ll give the automatic net install a chance today.

Let me know how I can help. Once the machine is up, I can also provide secure remote access if needed.

Sauko

On Thu 1. 4. 2021 at 23:14, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
Hi Saulo!

On 4/1/21 10:52 PM, Saulo Paiva wrote:
> Netinstall goes well on Debian. The auto-partitioner is dumb so I had to
> redo it and separate /boot.

What problems did you have with the automatic partioning? If there is any
bug, it should be reported and fixed.

> Another problem is that the installer doesn't contain the firmware for the
> FireGL (radeon) so when I boot, if I have the keyboard connected, I get a
> kernel dump. I was hoping at least for unaccelerated frame buffer.

This is a known issue that is still on my TODO list for fixing. It's not trivial
as the firmware packages are part of the "non-free" archive which is not yet
part of Debian Ports.

> I was not successful with gentoo. The net installer is completely broken.
> Using Debian as a starting point, I got far but then got stuck in the
> dependency hell
>
> dev-lang/python-3.8.8 and dev-db/sqlite-3.34.1.
> No matter what I did, I couldn't fix this.

For Gentoo, you would have to ask the Gentoo mailing lists or on IRC as most
people here probably have little to no experience with Gentoo.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org