Re: Install media for parisc-linux (HPPA)

Hi Lothar,

On 2019-03-23 10:44 a.m., Lothar Paltins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this might be a stupid question for someone familiar with debian and the hppa port. I'm not, I just want to download a CD image and try a
> fresh installation on several hppa workstations, just to be able to play with Linux on these machines besides the originally installed HP-UX.
> What image should I use?
I don't think there is a simple answer to your question.

First, I would look at Mike Hoskin's mail today on the new install media that he's going to release
and pick a distribution that best fits your needs.  I'm sure Mike would appreciate feedback on his work.

While the sid images are probably best from a bug standpoint, there have been a couple of ABI breaking
changes over the years.  We have also lost java support due to the dropping of gcj.  Although there has
been some porting work, openjdk doesn't yet build on hppa.   This is because the stack grows upward
on hppa.  This is blocking the build of some packages that used to build.  There's also a cache corruption
issue that's more prevalent in kernels later than v4.18.0.  It mostly affects SMP machines.  So, there are
pros and cons to using sid.

Hope that helps.

Dave

--