Re: PALO issue

Hi Helge,

On 12/7/18 20:44, Helge Deller wrote:
I think this can happen e.g. if you boot from Network via TFTP.

First the firmware IODC opens network connection and asks the tftpboot server
to provide the file. The first part of the file has the palo boot code which
is then executed.

So the firmware IODC doesn't download the whole lifimage but just sort of "opens" it and starts the first part that contains palo?

When palo has started, it rewinds the file to the start and reloads the first
sectors to get the offsets for vmlinux and ramdisk.

And palo actually doesn't download the lifimage, but just operates on a sort of file descriptor the firmware IODC provides to find the offsets. And then keeps the lifimage sort of "open" until a user continues to boot.

Sorry if I repeat things, I thought it would work totally different. Actually I didn't know, that it was possible with TFTP, to open a remote file and operate on it as if it was local.

After that it jumps to the loop which interacts with the user until he pressed "b"
to continue booting.

If you wait a few minutes until you continue booting, I assume
the tftpboot server (and the parisc box) will kill the network
connection in the meantime. That's the reason why you see:
<multiple minutes in between without any outpout>
pdc_iodc_bootin() died during seekread

seekread() is the rewind-function and pdc_iodc_bootin() is the palo
function which reads in the bytes.

So, I don't think there is much in palo what can be done about that.

Could one "close" the lifimage and "reopen" it after a user issues `b`?

Have you seen this issue when booting from hard disc too?

I don't boot from HDDs that often, but will give that a try. This can take some time if I can't find an old on-disk installation to use and have to recreate one.

Thanks for the background information
Cheers,
Frank