Re: Have my PA8800 back online...

On 2017-12-08 4:29 PM, Helge Deller wrote:
root@rp3440:~# lspci -nn
[...]
e0:01.0 Communication controller [0780]: Hewlett-Packard Company Auxiliary Diva Serial Port [103c:1290] (rev 01)
e0:01.1 Serial controller [0700]: Hewlett-Packard Company Diva Serial [GSP] Multiport UART [103c:1048] (rev 03)

Interesting - actually the current situation looks like what [your patch from May 29th] should have accomplished. But as you dropped it in favor of a patch to palo, it seems to be unrelated.

[your patch from May 29th]:https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9753613/
The patch had some other issues which is why I dropped it.
I like the testing of the class id much more, as it's done by the current upstream code.
E.g. this diva port reports PCI_CLASS_COMMUNICATION_OTHER as PCI CLASS ID, which differs to what the serial port driver should handle.

Yes, you previously noted that this port has no external connector or access via Ethernet.  I suspect it talks to some internal module. I don't know if there's any reason to access the device it's connected to (if any).  It probably should be "ttyO0".

Although the renumbering of the serial ports is somewhat annoying (maybe palo change should be reverted so default is always ttyS0), I would like the enumeration of the RV100 port skipped as the implementation on the rp34xx machines is broken and can't be used. It's enumeration means one has to explicitly specify the console argument in the boot command line as there seems to no way to
prefer the serial console port.

Dave

--
John David Anglin  dave.anglin@bell.net