Re: debian 8.0 hppa installed successfully

On 2016-09-07 10:00 AM, Paolo Borsa wrote:
Ok, I have added ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports <http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports> to my apt sources.list file and installed the key. So far so good, I can search packages and install them. But... I installed the system with kde desktop. When I try to "apt-get install something", aptitude is trying to remove around 350 packages, most of them are kde or xserver related.

I suggest the following for updating your system:

1) Update /etc/apt/sources.list so that it points to the debian unstable ports archive for hppa. See <https://www.ports.debian.org/>. 2) Run apt-get update; apt-get upgrade. This should upgrade the packages which don't require something being removed. 3) There will be a bunch of packages (probably quite a few) that are held back. Try installing these more or less individually with apt-get install. Start with most "important" first. Don't do install if apt wants to remove packages unrelated to the package being installed. On unstable, packages change quite frequently and there is often a delay in "all" packages being installed on porta.debian.org. So, held packages are common. Usually, it is best to just wait for the dependencies to resolve.

After your system is updated, you should be able to install new packages without apt trying to remove everything.

Most kde packages are available for hppa. Think all xserver packages are available.

The parisc wiki site has a wealth of info and can provide info on graphics support, etc:
https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

In general, accelerated graphics don't work. There is frame buffer support for a number of cards including VisEG
which may be in your c3750.

Dave

--
John David Anglin  dave.anglin@bell.net