Re: Time to change the debian-ports "list"?

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 06:39:10PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I believe the existing debian-ports setup (as an exploder pointing to
>all the different port lists) is not working well at all. It's a
>confusing setup to many people, which leads to lots of cross-list
>noise that's probably not warranted. Some of the traffic is also
>clearly meant to be discussing the debian-ports setup itself rather
>than individual ports, and that's also off-topic for those ports that
>are in the main archive. So, I propose:
>
> * Remove the confusion: turn debian-ports into a separate *normal*
>   mailing list, announce it and let people subscribe to it as they
>   see fit normally. This would be specifically for "discussions about
>   ports.debian.org and architectures hosted there".
>
> * Explicitly do *not* add another exploder to replace the old
>   address: instead, *if* we want something to cover this use case,
>   add a new list that interested people can subscribe to. Maybe
>   "debian-cross-ports" or "debian-architectures" or something. Please
>   feel free to suggest a better name! If such a list were to be set
>   up, we could/should encourage existing architecture porters to sign
>   up there too.
>
>Thoughts?

Any dissenting opinions?

Listmasters - are you happy to change things like I propose?

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.