New install HOW-TO and other news updated

Hiya folks,

Helge Deller has moved the official Installation HOW-TO for Debian HPPA Linux to https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

From there I edited the page extensively from a real-time install I did on a J6000 workstation the day before yesterday, and some of the issues I ran into and did workarounds for. Please be aware that with the new kernels and supporting files that need to go into the palo partition that 16 or even 20mb. is no longer quite enough (at least on the 64 bit machines), and has been reset to 50mb. or a little more to be on the safe side. This combined with a 200-400mb. /boot partition will still keep us well within the 2 gb. limit for palo and /boot.

I also added in some extra config for those who run multiple internal drives and would like to separate their partitions on to a second drive, along with labeling schemes to make it easier for the architecture to identify the drives properly in /etc/fstab (including the swap partitions).

There was an issue with missing configuration in /etc/network/interfaces and the inability to successfully get the debian-ports RSA keys onto the hard drive, that I created a simple work-around for, until we come up with a better solution, and added a couple of nice utilities to make sure all network interfaces and plugdev devices (especially USB external drives, etc.) get loaded at boot time.

This is what worked to get the J6000 back on it's feet after a drive failure a few days ago. If you have any questions, or see any mistakes in the configuration, please contact Helge Deller or myself, and we'll get them fixed. :-) Thanks!

Dave L.

--
Dave Land
Land Computer Service  xmechanic@landcomp.net