Re: Error: attempt to move .org backwards (was Lenny/Sid upgrade)

On 07/07/2013 01:19 PM, Alex Ivanov wrote:
> John David Anglin <dave.anglin <at> bell.net> writes:
>> At this time, I believe that the latest batch of changes have been
>> pulled in Linus' tree.  So,
>> I suggest that you use it: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/
>> git/torvalds/linux.git
>>

> Yay! The changes are in fresh 3.10 release. So just getting a tarball
> of it from the kernel.org site is a good idea.

Yes, 3.10 is a good one. Only very few patches missed this release.
As soon as I've sent the missing ones for 3.11, I'll push them to 3.10 stable too.

> Anyway, i'm failing at building any of the kernels. As i'm on c8000,
>  i'm forced to use a Gentoo image (20130122 livecd, the latest one),
>  as the old Debian 5.01 image doesn't support neither PDC console
>  nor radeon fb, as well as e1000 ethernet, and i didn't found a more
>  fresh image.

I'm just now preparing a new installation cd.
Kernel/bootstrap is mostly finished.
This one should then include support for C8000 (at least serial console -
not sure yet about graphic card support).

> I did a sucessful initial debootstrap from it, then
> chroot'ed into the fs, did a system upgrade, installed linux-source's
>  companions. Tried to build 3.9 & 3.10 kernels using Helge's steps,
>  and failed every time with the following:
>
> include/asm-generic/bitops/__fls.h:38:2: warning: left shift count
>  >= width of type [enabled by default]
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:748: Error: attempt to move .org backwards
> at many places. Downgrading of the binutils didn't help. Any idea?

Sorry, no idea at this moment. I don't see such problems.

Helge