Re: Did Squeeze ever make it to HPPA?

On 4/8/2013 7:54 AM, Kurt Fitzner wrote:
On 23/03/2013 7:53 PM, John David Anglin wrote:
I would really recommend going with the packages at
ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/debian-ports/unstable
instead of the squeeze packages on debian-ports.org.  The dependencies
are somewhat broken for
the stuff on debian-ports.org and great care is needed in installing
these packages.  For example,
the udev package on debian-ports is a bootstrap breaker.  It might be
that we could fill in the squeeze
port but it would be a fair bit of work.
I've spent some time over the last couple weeks trying to work out an
upgrade path to the the unstable packages on parisc-linux.org, but am
having a very hard time.  Trying to go from Debian 5 directly to a
mostly (but not totally) complete post-6 Wheezy without having through
intermediary steps seems to be beyond aptitude (or me) to resolve.  I
can handle missing packages, but the number of broken packages aptitude
says there will be at the end of an upgrade is daunting.  And I've only
got one HPPA box which leaves me a little on the chicken side with
respects to playing.

I must admit to being less than an expert on Debian's packaging system,
mostly because it has always "just worked", but I am wondering if my
problems are stemming from the current unstable packages being set as
superceding packages that no longer exist in between what I have and them.

What I think I really need is a snapshot of what was unstable the day
Lenny was officially dropped.  Does this exist anywhere?
I don't think that exists. What exists is the snapshot when the unstable hppa packages were copied from debian.org to debian-ports.org. Unfortunately, at that time, there were various missing packages. So, updating would result in many important packages being deleted. Further, many packages have common portions that are architecture independent. However, they often are still version dependent. So, as things evolved, the common parts needed
for the hppa stuff has disappeared.

Thus, the only option is to use the packages on ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/debian-ports/unstable together with what's on debian-ports.org. In what I upload, I include the common parts from
debian-ports.org.  So, hopefully, things will not get as inconsistent.

Last week I uploaded many new packages, so the archive is much closer to the unstable for other ports (particularly, for packages starting with [a-l]). I install all packages that I use before uploading so I know that at least on my system there are no broken packages (it started as a server system). However, there's likely still a bunch of stuff that needs updating for desktop
systems.

I haven't tried to do an upgrade directly using ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/debian-ports/unstable. Helge Deller has done it. So, maybe he can comment. In general, I would do the update as follows:

1) Build and install 3.9-rc5 or later from kernel.org.
2) Update packages from eglibc source.
3) Update packages from binutils source.
4) Install packages from GCC 4.6 and 4.7.
5) Update packages from perl source.
6) Update packages from python2.7 source.

This puts you in the position of being able to build missing packages if necessary.

From there, update selectively. If any update wants to remove packages that are largely unrelated to the update, stop and try to find out why. Possibly, the packages to be removed
need updating first.

Would you be willing to post what's missing and broken? I can try and fill in what's missing.

Dave

--
John David Anglin    dave.anglin@bell.net