Error: attempt to move .org backwards (was Lenny/Sid upgrade)

John David Anglin <dave.anglin <at> bell.net> writes:

> At this time, I believe that the latest batch of changes have been
> pulled in Linus' tree.  So,
> I suggest that you use it: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/
> git/torvalds/linux.git

Yay! The changes are in fresh 3.10 release. So just getting a tarball
of it from the kernel.org site is a good idea.

Anyway, i'm failing at building any of the kernels. As i'm on c8000,
 i'm forced to use a Gentoo image (20130122 livecd, the latest one),
 as the old Debian 5.01 image doesn't support neither PDC console
 nor radeon fb, as well as e1000 ethernet, and i didn't found a more
 fresh image. I did a sucessful initial debootstrap from it, then
chroot'ed into the fs, did a system upgrade, installed linux-source's
 companions. Tried to build 3.9 & 3.10 kernels using Helge's steps,
 and failed every time with the following:

include/asm-generic/bitops/__fls.h:38:2: warning: left shift count
 >= width of type [enabled by default]
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:748: Error: attempt to move .org backwards

at many places. Downgrading of the binutils didn't help. Any idea?