Re: Install hangs on HP c8000 - 'Turn off boot console ttyB0'

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 04:23:13PM +0200, Geert Lorang wrote:

> > Actually I'm not the author of this tip... Geert Lorang told me to do
> > this, but I don't have any serial card around. Anyways, it's great to hear
> > it works. Maybe now I can convince my boss to buy one for me to do these
> > tests! :-)
> >

> Few weeks ago I also succeeded in installing my C8000. Some knowledge I
> can share:
>
> - The Intel e1000 doesn't work due to bad EEPROM checksum (not really the
> case, driver thinks so)

ISTR the checksum was correct but had some quirk about it - something silly
like having the endianess wrong. There's a few people I can ask who might
remember.

In any case, this is something I should be able to get working.
This morning I swapped my ia64 zx6000 workstation (went back to HP)
for a C8000.

> - The Debian installer initrd only has the e1000 and tg3 network drivers

So you are saying we need something else as well?

DD's : can the installer also include acenic (tigon 1) driver please?
(64-bit PCI-66Mhz card) That should work and is in many of the
later parisc Servers.

> - I think 'we' have a newer revision of the C8000 with some (new)
> unsupported serial ports. I think they get recognized as 0x000AD 0x077 but
> I'm not sure of this, nor I'm able to write a device driver :)

We would need some small bits of documentation from HP to do that I suspect.
(serial port register addresses and any quirks to access them)

> I added a (64 bit) Broadcom netXtreme gigabit network card (tg3 driver)
> and a moschip 9835 serial card to my C8000, with this hardware I was able
> to do a netinstall.
>
> If you can get the pata_sil680 module in the initrd you should be able to
> install it from (IDE) CDROM. If needed I can provide you this, but we
> should get this into the Debian HPPA upstream.

Yes - as well as acenic driver and any other NIC drivers (e.g. e100) that
we tested in the past.

thanks,
grant