Re: Releasability of the HPPA port

On 08/07/2010 12:28 PM, Thibaut VARÈNE wrote:
> Le 7 août 2010 à 06:43, Philipp Kern a écrit :
>> On 08/06/2010 10:48 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> Finally, a silly question: looking at the bottom line of this chart, it seems that Debian is "at risk" of becoming a x86/64(+ia64?)-only release[2]. Is it actually the case? I don't mean to start a heated discussion here, but if I "missed the memo", maybe others did too. The point is, if that's what Debian is moving towards, then the current discussion is pretty moot, isn't it?

It looks that many ports have trouble to either have new affordable
hardware (so buildds can cope easily and porters have easy means to test
things) or have trouble to have upstream and/or Debian porters. So in
that regard Debian will be moving to supporting less ports unless that
changes AFAICS.

Note though that armel is a noticable exception were both new hardware
and new porters are easily found both upstream as well as within Debian.
In that regard I'm at least still hopeful for the mips ports.

hppa seems to be very borderline for the future due to a stand still for
hardware and a decrease in porters (upstream seems to work best when
it's similar to ia64 and already more difficult otherwise). The kfreebsd
ports seem to not have enough porting effort to have a clear progress
atm, though still look promising. powerpc and sparc seem to loose linux
users/porters due to only having expensive new hardware, Oracle is
probably not going to help in that respect. sparc seems to also miss
Debian porters to be able to move to sparc64 userland in a clean way.
s390 has always been special and would gain a lot of having some real
porters next to the current contributing users AFAICS.

Personally I'd love if Debian would be able to attract more porters so
we could keep supporting many architectures also in the future!

Cheers

Luk

PS: Feel free to correct me if my observation seems wrong or incomplete
for some port.