Re: Full support of functions for atomic memory access in gcc?

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Manuel Prinz <manuel@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to fix some long-standing issues in one of my packages
> (src:openmpi). It does not build on hppa since no atomic primitives are
> provided by upstream. Upstream agreed to solve this by using the
> build-in primitives when compiled with gcc but I was unable to find out
> if those are supported on hppa.
>
> Could you please enlighten me whether or not there is support for that
> on hppa? (Only read memory barriers would be sufficient.) Also, are high
> resolution timers available?
>
> Any hint or pointers to further documentation would be great, as I'm not
> very familiar with the issue at hand at the moment! Thanks in advance!

The GCC port for parisc should have full support for compiler atomic
intrinsics (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.0/gcc/Atomic-Builtins.html#Atomic-Builtins),
if you find any problems with the atomic intrinsics please file an
issue against the compiler and CC me and debian-hppa.

The GLIBC/kernel port for hppa does not yet expose high resolution
timers, but it's been several years since I looked into this, so you
might want to check that out. We recently switched over to the generic
kernel timer sources implementation, which means you now have full
access to cr16 (clock tick register) as a timer source.

Cheers,
Carlos.