Re: HPPA and Squeeze

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 09:55 +0200, Bart Schelstraete wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  Everybody is talking about the 'random crashes' and 'segfaults' in
> the HPPA version.
>  Over here I'm using the hppa on a small HP-UX workstation, and that
> has an uptime of 542 days!.
>  So it's not that unstable.
>  I even need to say that I had a lot more crashes with the x86 version
> then with the hppa version.

It seems to be related to what machine you actually have.  I run a B180
as my network gateway, handling firewall, web,
postfix/postgrey/spamassassin at quite a high volume on a domain.  I
also used to run it with a PCMCIA wireless card just for chuckles and
grins (although I stopped that two years ago when I got a linksys).  It
runs debian testing and has been completely stable.  I only reboot it
for updates and in the seven or so years I've been doing this, I haven't
had any segfaults or crashes ... have to say I only started using debian
kernels on it for the last four or so years, because there used to be
big problems with the ones they built.

>  Just to say that I'm personally not so unhappy with deb hppa, and
> that not everything is bad.

I think the main class of problem machines are anything with SMP ...
unfortunately, I don't have one, so can't verify.

James