Re: Strange FTBFS for ffmpeg-debian on hppa

"Thibaut VARENE" <varenet@debian.org> writes:

>> Well, I think I "solved" it now. Upstream was impressively reactive to
>> this ftbfs and applied a patch to the configure script that enables PIC
>> on hppa. I imported that patch into the current debian package and will
>> be part of the next upload.
>
> This shouldn't be a hppa-only fix. Building/linking non-PIC shared
> libraries is just *wrong* and will fail miserably on most
> architectures but x86.

In this case, it is okay. This package contains highly optimized hand
written assembler that has very complicated demands to register
allocation constraints that demand very specific compiler options.
That's why the configure scripts has a list of architectures that
require PIC in shared libraries, and hppa was just missing in that
file. This might sound crazy, but that's it. The last encounter I did
was that adding '-fPIC' to CFLAGS causes an FTBFS on i386 :/

A testbuild of the current svn on hppa would however be useful so I
don't need to upload a testbaloon to unstable.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4