Re: regarding memory configuration on HP J6700

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 02:03:37PM +0100, kmaziz wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have this J6700 with 10gb memory, and linux debian installed on it. I
> havent had any problems with it until yesterday. The machine was
> disconnected from the network and I saw on the front lcd that it complains
> about memory which is not in the right place, some MDT error I think. I
> tried reboot the machine but it gave me same errors, would not even boot to
> the serial console. So I opened the box and tried to switch the memory
> places so the first one begun at the highest dim port and the last one at
> the lowest.. But i still got the same problem, so I switched them back to
> the original slots and it worked, I got in to the console but I got alot of
> Warnings which complained about the memories arent at the optimal
> configuration. I tried a few other configurations but I still get the same
> problem, so I made this picture of the dimslots containing the memories:
> http://bayimg.com/kaioBaaBn

Probably not, but I can't be bothered to check.

Look in the j6k technical reference[1] for the layout including a
diagram. Basically you have to match each dimm in A & B, and load from
the lowest to highest.

So for optimal ordering, you have either 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 dimms.
Loaded in 0a, 0b, 1a, 1b, ... 8a, 8b.

--Kyle