Newbie : B2000, 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch4, boots fine, works fine then later read-only fs

Hi,

Please excuse me if this is covered somewhere already, but I have
looked in the archive and I didn't find anything that looked like a
match.  I've googled but also drawn a blank.

I'm using an HP B2000.  Last night I installed a base system from
CD-ROM, after that I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch4,
installed sshd, ntpd and called it a night.

Today, I came back from work, ssh into B2000 from my Sparc to find FS
was in read-only mode.  Syslog just seems to have gone for a walk part
way through logging.  OK, re-boot.  Comes up fine, I configured
exim4-light, did a test e-mail, started to install logcheck and
wallop, FS goes read-only again.

Surely I've missed something obvious as I'm new to HP kit, but this
does seem most odd.  I did see some comments about SMP kernels and a
similar issue, but ignored these as my kit is a single processor.  Any
pointers, tips, etc. as to what I've done wrong and what I should read
would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Jo.