Re: gdb and asm/offsets.h

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 02:32:46PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > I assume gdb is fetching this with ptrace? What exactly does it need it
> > for? Can you point at the relevant code in cvsweb or something?
>
> What do you think it needs it for? :-) It needs to read the program's
> registers; offsets into pt_regs are used for PTRACE_PEEKUSR and
> PTRACE_POKEUSR.

Oh. Duh. Sorry, I thought something else was going on since this seemed
to be a "new" problem.

There is an ancillary problem here, the offsets differ for a 32bit or
64bit kernel, and asm-offsets.h won't save you there.

Keeping a private copy of struct pt_regs, and using offsetof() is
probably the 'safest' way to deal with this.

Regards, Kyle