Re: [D-I] Question about setting up palo/ext2 boot partition

On Tuesday 17 April 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> (No need to CC me, I'm subscribed.)
>
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 16:43, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> > Hmm, I have no problem running palo with -U on a mounted partition:
>
> Very, very strange because the README for palo says:
>     The update (-U) feature is currently disabled, perhaps permanently.
>     The usual method for maintaining your disk is to edit /etc/palo.conf
>     and rerun palo.
>
> And it also seems disabled in the source (palo/palo.c):
> <snip>
>     else        /* update */
>     {
>         unsigned end = f0start + f0length;
>
>         fprintf(stderr, "palo -U doesn't work yet\n"); exit(2);
> #if 0
>         <code that should implement -U>
> #endif
> </snip>

Hi Frans,

yes, it's not available and this has bothered me as well already.
If I understand you correctly, you already have fixed the debian-installer to reserve bad-blocks when the palo-partition was formatted.
All what is missing now, is that "palo -U" installs the bootloader into those reserved blocks, correct ?

Technically IMHO it shouldn't be such a big problem.
One problem I see though is, that palo should check if the badblocks really were marked as such before just writing in the bootloader... ?
Maybe that's the reason it's currently disabled ?

Helge