ifup failed to open statefile

Hi,

I just dist-upgrade my old woody based 712/80 that's been untouched for more
than 1 year. After finish the upgrade, my machine don't get into the network.
When i do
	#ifup eth0
it returns:
	ifup failed to open statefile /etc/network/run/ifstat: no such file or
directory.

I can only scratch my head for I never found this. Is there a thing to revive
the network card? lspci don't work, lsmod neither. I don't have any other
hppa around that I may copy and paste the file(s) into.

weird..

--
Yus Budiyono