installation failure debian sarge 3.1r1 on HP 715/80

Hello,
I got some HP workstations and I try now to install Debian Sarge 3.1.r1 on it.
After the installation of the base system the computer hangs on the first
reboot: The screen message tells:

HP SDC: Registering the System Domain Controller's HIL MLC

Now nothing goes: also the power off switch does not work: I can only remove
the power supply of the computer to switch it off.

I am using a PS2 keyboard and a USB mouse with PS2 connector: both connected
to the distribution box. The HIL Keyboard/mouse are not connected/used.

I remember, during the installation it was a failure message concerning HP
SDC, but the installation process continues.

There are any ideas what can be done, in order the get the system running?

The hardware: HP715/80, 192 MB RAM, 2 SCSI drives (a 4 GB), an external SCSI
CDROM drive. used for installation with 14 CDROMS (buyed from aLINUX
distributor)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/ideas.

Best regards
Bernhard Bialas.