Question about 3.1r2 boot cds

I have a B180 machine which was loaded with a version of linux back in 1993.
I'm trying to start fresh and tried to boot the 3.1r2 cd "debian-hppa-binary-1.iso" to install. I consistently get a mangled message just above the tux on the boot screen which says something to the effect:

Kernel panic: Kernel Fault4/0xb0cr31:10....., IRQ sharing enabled

I have tried various burns at various speed of the same cd with the same results. I have interacted with the IPL and tried setting some variations on a "sensible" set of parameters to pass to the kernel. When I clear AL the entries to be passed to the kernel. I get an unable to mount root message so I started adding some root and initrd items to the parameters.

What is/are the correct set of parameters to be passed to the kernel?

Regards, Herb